Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/veteransfootball/public_html/plugins/system/helix3/core/helix3.php on line 827

The match was played at Boldmere St Michaels, with a slightly delayed start due to the Womens FA Cup game between Aston Villa and West Ham United.


The match started in a very cagey fashion with Birmingham setting the tempo, knowing a draw would be sufficient for them, and the first half was littered with free kicks for running infringements. Players from both sides were spoken to by the referee Tony Skelton, as he kept tracks with the players doing the most offending. The fragmentation of the game did not help Hartshill normal passing game and the half ended 0-0.


Both teams went into huddles to discuss the stategy for the second half.

Hartshill up the tempo and started with players in different positions on the pitch. John Green was moved from defence to play upfront on the edge of the Birmingham penalty area, and the Hartshill team started to play longer passes with more urgency, this paid dividends almost immediately when the ball was worked forward early from goalie Dave Seddon to Clive Stokes, who passed on to Steve Nicholls who interchanged passes with John Green and Paul Haynes before working the ball to Bob Dunning who shot early and scored after the ball hit both posts. Moments earlier Bob had seen another shot rebound of the post. 


Knowing that Birmingham were likely to try and commit more players forward searching for an equaliser, John Cooper was re introduced in place of Paul Haynes. The referee gave a Birmingham player a Blue Card 2 minute Sin Bin and John Cooper took advantage of a slip by a Birmingham player to latch onto the ball and hit  a fierce shot past the Birmingham goalkeeper to put Hatrshill 2-0 up. 


No sooner had Birmingham been restored to a full compliment when Hartshill player Clive Stokes was given a similar Blue card punishment. Barry Geyton replaced John Cooper whilst Hartshill played out the two minute period with only 4 outfield players. On Clive's return, John again replace Barry Geyton and the game drifted to an end with further use of substitutions by both sides without any further score.

Referee: Tony Skelton Score 8

Hartshill Squad : Dave Seddon, John Green, Clive Stokes, Steve Nicholls, Bob Dunning, John Cooper, Barry Geyton, Paul Haynes.




Barry Geyton


Bedworth 2 Hartshill Stollers 2 - 60s Match Day 9 (10/3/19)

A game played by two committed sides which saw a fine advertisement for BCWFWML, both teams creative and chances aplenty, it was Bedworth who took the lead with Dave Marriott finishing well after good build up play.

Hartshill drew level when Bob Dunning drilled in a shot from 15-yards and both sides went close in the mid-section of the first-half but it was The Greenbacks who nosed in front when Len Harris in an advanced position finished sublimely from just outside the area.

After the break Bedworth had a number of chances to go clear but were denied by Dave Seddon in the Hartshill goal, they were then punished as a long-range shot was well saved by Jeff Grimes but fell nicely for an unmarked Barry Geyton to get the leveller.

Late on Bedworth could have snatched a win when Marriott wriggled clear but his shot hit the side netting. 

The game was played in great spirit and the draw in the end was probably the correct result with both teams complimentary of referee John McCabe who's handling and game management was top notch.




 Boldmere Wyndley Old Boys secured the runner’s up position in the inaugural Over 50’s Walking Veterans Football League with a hard fought win -in their last ever appearance as WOPS - against a resilient Bedworth side who were also looking to finish their season on a high. An early goal for Boldmere was cancelled out midway through the second period as Bedworth increased the pressure, only for Boldmere to restore their lead shortly after and they had to battle hard to hold on to the points against tough opponents.


Bedworth took the game to Boldmere from the off and an early shot from 12 yds out just went wide of the post, but it was the home team who started the better, moving the ball around the pitch forcing Bedworth to defend in numbers and the pressure paid off as early as the second minute as Steve Manning broke down the right and cut the ball back to Brendan Maxwell who turned on the edge of the box to keep the ball away from the defender and was able to pick his spot to the keepers right to give the home side the lead.


Bedworth increased the tempo and saw another shot from outside the box go wide of the left post, a second warning to Boldmere that their opponents were not going to make it easy and their keeper proved his quality with a double save from Brendan and then Steve’s follow up. Bedworth then skimmed one off the post before Boldmere went straight down the other end and Gary Randall’s shot was superbly blocked by the keeper, all this in a thrilling first 10 mins.


The Bedworth keeper pulled off another great save from Brendan and Steve saw a first time shot bounce off the crossbar, just as the away side were starting to get more possession of the ball and Boldmere were starting to lose their composure but Eddie Taylor was resolute in defence to make sure the lead was intact at half time.


Boldmere keeper Andy Coley didn’t have a great deal of saves to make in the first period but more than made up for that in the second, on a number of times having to be alert to the increased Bedworth pressure, but was finally beaten midway through the half as he pushed a shot out for a corner only to be unable to do anything about the first time shot as the quick ball came in.


Steve Shorrock almost instantly re-established Boldmere’s lead after being played in by Eddie and on the turn shot just wide of the post, but it was wasn’t long before Steve S, Brendan and Dave Steele were involved in restoring Boldmere’s advantage as an edge of the goal scramble led to a ‘ping pong’ moment of football as both teams desperately tried to get control, the loose ball finally falling to Dave Steele just outside the melee to hook the ball into the net.


Bedworth were still determined to get back in the game but tiring legs from both teams limited the chances, Boldmere going close with saved shots from Steve S and Eddie before the big key moment in the game as Bedworth made one last big effort to level the scores with a superb shot only to see Andy pull off an outstanding Gordon Banks (v Pele 1970) style save to somehow tip the ball over the crossbar to make sure all three points went Boldmere’s way.


Not Boldmere’s best performance of the season, but one they had to work hard for, due to the quality and resilience of the opposition on the day, but were rewarded with a well-deserved runners up spot to cap off a very good first season.We now look forward to the new season as an amalgamation of the 2 Boldmere sides takes place . 


We would like to wish Bedworth United good luck for the new season and look forward to meeting up again at a later stage.





1. Andy Coley

2. Steve Manning ( manager )

3. Dave Steele 

4. Brendan Maxwell

5. Eddie Taylor

6. Gary Randall

7. Steve Shorrock

8.Phil Brennan ( coach ) 

BCWFL 60s Reds Regional Festival (24/2/19)

Having been denied by the post on two occasions Bedworth suddenly fell behind with BSM first shot on goal, within 12 minutes the 'Greens' were two-down and chasing the game, with 'no luck' in the final third they eventually managed to beat a busy Boldmere keeper when Marriott got them back in the game and he added a 2nd to make the game all square just before half-time, with seconds left Bedworth nearly nosed ahead when the BSM keeper made a great save from a close range Marriott shot.

Early in the second-period Marriott grabbed his hat-trick to get Bedworth into a lead for the first time , he then was denied a fourth with another brilliant stop, a low drive from Scholes was well saved but Bedworth added their fourth after Marriott finished well on the angle.

Boldmere had only one real moment during the 2nd-half when Grimes saved well and late on Sharp eventually sealed a win for Bedworth with a smart finish to make it 5-2.

Having hit the post four times in the first-half it took Bedworth some time to eventually see off  a plucky Boldmere side who had stunned their rivals with two smart finishes early doors.


Boldmere WOBS 1 Hartshill Strollers 0 - 50s Match Day 5 (20/1/19)


Boldmere Wyndley Old Boys left it very late to secure a dramatic winner and deservedly earn the three points in the chase for top spot. With only one minute of normal time to go Eddie Taylor hit a low ‘screamer’ through a body of players and beyond the Hartshill keeper, who had been excellent throughout, but was powerless to stop the fierce drive from Eddie.

On an extremely cold but dry night, both teams were eager to keep moving and not give much away and the game turned into a tight affair with very few chances in the opening stages. A few early over enthusiastic tackles from the Hartshill midfielder left their mark on Brendan Maxwell and Boldmere were awarded a number of free kicks, one of which led to Eddie forcing the keeper into a good save getting down low to push it wide. 

Gary Randall and Brendan put the Hartshill back two under increasing pressure and freed up Steve Manning and Dave Steele to get down the wings and test the keeper, whilst allowing Eddie to fill in the gap in midfield also forcing the keeper into yet another save.

Hartshill moved the ball round the pitch really well at times, but Malcolm Page and Eddie kept it tight at the back and they only really threatened the Boldmere goal on a couple of occasions in the first half, with Steve M putting in a last gasp block to prevent a Harstshill shot that would have tested Andy Coley in the Boldmere goal, for their best effort of the half.

Boldmere piled on the pressure in the second half with Dave going close after good work by Gary and Steve Shorrock and then Steve S was unfortunate to see his shot bounce back off the foot of the post across the goal. Steve S was causing problems for the opposition defence and forced the keeper into a couple of good saves, with Brendan and Dave also seeing efforts go close. Hartshill did go close on one occasion as Boldmere switched off and the otherwise kept quiet Andy Coley was forced into blocking a shot and Eddie was on hand to clear away the rebound.

Boldmere were getting the upper hand but the goal was seemingly unbreachable as yet again the post denied a home goal as Steve M fired in after good work by Brendan and Steve S and just as it looked as if both sides would have to settle for a point, another attack was blocked by Hartshill only for Steve S to take control of the ball and lay it into Eddie’s path, stepping onto it and firing low and hard into the goal for a dramatic winner and fully deserved too.

A good competitive game and an intense finish saw Boldmere get the edge on a very good Hartshill team and well done to the ref for allowing the game to flow, often warning players before penalising for repeat or consistent rule breaks. 

We would like to wish Hartshill Strollers A good luck for the remainder of the season and look forward to meeting up again at a later stage.



1. Andy Coley

2. Steve Manning

3. Malcolm Page

4. Gary Randall

5. Brendan Maxwell

6. Eddie Taylor

7. Steve Shorrock

8. Dave Steele

Page 1 of 5


The Trevor Brown Memorial Ground
Church Road
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
B73 5RY

Mobile 1: 07415 100 167
Mobile 2: 07704 088 355

45+ 9 A Side Running League


50+ 6 A Side Running League
60+ 6 A Side Running League
Visit the LATEST NEWS page for more
Birmingham County Over 45 League